“The goal of education is not to increase knowledge, but to create opportunities to invent and discover, bring out people who are capable of doing new things.”
Jean Piaget, psychologist, 1896 – 1980
“In group improvisation we do not do what we are told to, but what we think is right in the very moment. To think about what is right and to react appropriately is not easy. That is no absolute freedom, but that’s concentration. I’m not obedient, I follow the way that I think is right. “
Lilli Friedemann, violinist, pioneer in teaching improvised music, 1906 – 1991
What we are
exploratorium berlin was founded 2004 as a place that is specifically and solely dedicated to improvised music. The focus of the work is the support of a diverse active improvisation culture that develops the full potential of this musical form in many different ways.
exploratorium berlin is aimed at
- professionals and non-professionals in music who are looking for first experiences with improvisation
- improvising musicians, dancers, actors or other artists who want to deepen their improvising skills in courses or collect new experiences at regular sessions with other improvising musicians which they can meet there.
- teachers who are searching for approaches to a lively way of improvising music with various target groups
- professional improvising musicians who want to give concerts in a highly concentrated atmosphere. Collaborations with artists from other fields are welcome.
- everybody who wants to listen to improvised music in concerts with internationally known musicians or young not yet known ensembles.
exploratorium berlin promotes improvisation in cultural life as a form of ensemble music that is just as common as chamber music, orchestra, choir or band.
Improvisation offers something that is uncommon in music – the opportunity to invent music, and to do so without notation. Moreover, this form of creativity is special because it takes place in a group setting. Like in a good conversation, the players develop ideas, which they would not have been able to find otherwise, by inspiring each other.
In the exploratorium we focus on so-called free improvisation, which needs neither scales nor harmony or rhythm schemes. The sound as such is the basis of music invention. Learning improvisation and learning by improvising is about collecting experiences in forming music, understanding music „from the inside out“ and getting involved in the musical flow. That requires alertness in every moment and intense listening to the other players as well as to the collective musical process.
Free improvisation means taking responsibility and contributing your own impulses while simultaneously adapting to a collective at any moment. Learning this is learning for life. Experiencing this in concert is participating in a very spezial adventure.