Sunday, 14. January 2018, 20 h
Series “Improvisation International”
Jacques Demierre (CH) – piano
Thomas Lehn (D) – analog synthesizer
Urs Leimgruber (CH) – saxophone
Hannah Marshall (GB) – violincello
Dorothea Schürch (CH) – voice, singing saw
Roger Turner (GB) – percussion
The group 6ix, artistically led by the saxophonist Urs Leimgruber and the pianist Jacques Demierre, was founded in spring 2007. Since then the group has played in Europe, USA and Canada (concerts and international festivals).
6ix consists of six musicians, who belong to the leading protagonists of the free improv-scene in Europe:
- Urs Leimgruber has enriched and extended the saxophone sound with new playing techniques for decades.
- Jacques Demierre has developed a unique style of playing on the piano, which never ceases to recapture sound topographies and makes us forget the physical weight of the instrument.
- Thomas Lehn is deliberately operating with analog, electronic sounds, which allow an immediate response to the structure and design process of live music.
- British cellist Hannah Marshall invents and exorcises as many tones and emotional qualities from her instrument as she can.
- With the voice and the singing saw, Dorothea Schürch provides a wide range of sound effects and noise, while her body becomes part of an amazing theatrical performance.
- Roger Turner is a British musician defying all categories, a fantastic drummer, an exciting combination of volcanic power and finely polished precision.
With 6ix, these six musicians form an ensemble that organizes sound improvisations in a differentiated way to the acoustic conditions of a room. The music improvised by 6ix is based on the prerequisites of the given space, as its spatial sound track in the use or disclosure of the acoustic potential. There is no score as in the traditional music, but a site-specific score for the musicians interpreted by the architectural context and the environment. A score that can not be separated from the music, a score that matches the performance itself.
Eintritt: 12 / 10 / 6 Euro (normal price / reduced / “Berlin-Pass”)
Reservations at or (030) 84 72 10 52