- was born in Karlsruhe in 1958.
- studied composition and theory of music in Karlsruhe and Hamburg
- was trained, and later worked with Lilli Friedemann in the field of musical group improvisation
- has been working in Berlin as a freelance composer, improviser, music pedagogue and author on music pedagogy since 1984
- founder member of the improvisation ensemble Ex Tempore
- expanded his training in the area of creative music pedagogy both in Germany and abroad
- teaches as well at the Social-Pedagogical Institute (SPI) in Berlin and the Berlin University of the Arts (UdK).
- has published numerous works on the themes of improvisation and creativity in music ensembles, instrumental lessons and elementary music education
- founder and head of the exploratorium berlin.
For more information, visit www.matthiasschwabe.com